NOTE: Any reference to DME arcs, ADF, or GPS shall be
disregarded if the aircraft is not equipped with these specified
Objective. To determine that the applicant:
1. Exhibits adequate knowledge of the elements related to
intercepting and tracking navigational systems and DME
2. Tunes and correctly identifies the navigation facility.
3. Sets and correctly orients the course to be intercepted into
the course selector or correctly identifies the course on
4. Intercepts the specified course at a predetermined angle,
inbound or outbound from a navigational facility.
5. Maintains the airspeed within ±10 knots, altitude within
±100 feet, and selected headings within ±5°.
6. Applies proper correction to maintain a course, allowing no
more than 3/4-scale deflection of the CDI or within ±10° in
case of an RMI.
7. Determines the aircraft position relative to the navigational
facility or from a waypoint in the case of GPS.
8. Intercepts a DME arc and maintain that arc within ±1
9. Recognizes navigational receiver or facility failure, and
when required, reports the failure to ATC.
10. Uses MFD and other graphical navigation displays, if
installed, to monitor position, track wind drift, and other
parameters to intercept and maintain the desired flightpath.